Sunday, November 16, 2008

Respect The DJ- Dj Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince

The first time I heard the original 12" for "Girls", I couldn't believe what I heard. Who in the world would sample the theme of ""I Dream of Jeannie" and the second thing was who this guy rhyming named the Fresh Prince? He rhymed differently than RUN DMC or Whodini, but he was rapping the way I was thought.

After I bought DJ Jazzy Jeff's & The Fresh Prince's debut album "Rock The House", I was awed by Jazzy Jeff's scratching techniques (which influenced my Djing skills) and the use of jazz on songs like "A Touch of Jazz".

The video for "Girls" didn't come out until a few years later after Jazzy Jeff and Will Smith made "Parents Just Don't Understand."

Unfortunately, these two has not received the credit they deserve as being hip hop pioneers. Unlike a lot of rappers past and present who embellish their lives, Will & Jeff were no different from N.W.A. because they both of them were true about themselves and their surroundings.

Where Ice Cube wrote from a drug dealers perspective fRom Compton, (even though wasn't a drug dealer), Will Smith wrote about having problems with his parents; both of them were writing from a base of truth, just from two different life experiences.

Maybe that's why I'm a still a fan of Will Smith's acting and Jeff Townes's production 20 years later because both of them are still being honest to their fans, now Will is doing it on the big screen, while Jeff is still jazzy on wax.

-Kaz

DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince-Girl's Ain't Nothin But Trouble


Jazz & Hilary


DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince-A Touch of Jazz (Remix)

No comments: